Coaching For Beginning Runners
The Nittany Valley Running Club has several opportunities for beginner runners. For youngsters, the Nittany Track and Field Youth Club is a great way to learn about running in a supportive coached environment. The NVRC also puts on the Youth Cross-Country series in the Fall. And many local races have kids "fun runs" associated with them. There are also several opportunities for adult beginner runners. The Club has a special Wahoo Beginner's Running Group that trains together in a fun and supportive environemnt. The "From Couch To 5K In 3 Months" program below appeared in two parts in the July-August and September-October 2004 issues of the NVRC Newsletter. If you are a beginning runner, start the program in time to take part in the Knights of Columbus 5K Race in October. The Knights of Columbus 5K has been designated as the NVRC Beginner's 5K. While runners of all abilities run the Knights race because its relatively easy course helps ensure a good finishing time, we will have special incentives for beginners to run the race. See the Knights of Columbus 5K race page for details.
Links on the Nittany Valley Running Club site:
- From Couch To 5K In 3 Months (Part 1) - A great way to start a healthy habit!
- From Couch To 5K In 3 Months (Part 2) - Down the home stretch!
- The Knights of Columbus 5K Race, the official NVRC Beginner's 5K.
Links to other running web sites with information for beginners:
- Cool Running has a great runner's web site, including information for new runners, and their own Couch-To-5K program. Compare!
- Other runners sites with good 5K training programs are Runner's World and Running Times.