Series Tallies To Date
The 2018 NVRC Race Series is under way! If you are interested in past years' tallies, go here.
|Race Series Cup Points
Race Series Cup Points
Here are the totals for the Race Series to date, through First Night and the Indoor Mile Series. We'll catch up on more recent races soon. Note: Mens and Womens tallies have been separated, but since the same point awards are available to all, Series placement is based on overall point awards. (Note: Point Totals for this year will appear here soon!)
Total Volunteer Award Points are the sum of Club Role related volunteering points, volunteer points from individual Series races, and miscellaneous points for such things as writing web site articles and participating in or donating to the CVIM Marathoners For Medicine teams. See Scoring for details. We'll have Volunteer Awards Points here soon.
There will be awards for the top scorers in the Race Series Cup and the Volunteer Awards. Awards will be given at the February NVRC meeting for the previous year's competitions.The prizes are awarded at the following levels:
Race Series Cup:
- 1st place: Jacket with embroidered NVRC patch.
- 2nd place: Gear bag with embroidered NVRC patch
- 3rd place: Cap or winter hat with embroidered NVRC patch
- All runners not in the top 3 places above and achieving more than 75 Race Series Cup points in a Series year will receive a gift certificate from Rapid Transit Sports
- All runners achieving more than 40 Race Series Cup points in a Series year will receive an NVRC logo magnet for their car or refrigerator.
- In order to be eligible for a Race Series award, a runner must volunteer at at least one Race Series race.
- There is a "hiatus rule" for the top awards. When a runner takes 1st place in the Race Series Cup, that runner is ineligible to win one of the top 3 prizes in the following year. The runner may still receive a magnet or gift certificate the next year. After a year's hiatus, the runner is again eligible for all prizes.
There is no limit to the number of Volunteer Awards of each kind that the Club will distribute in a given Series year, but only one of the following three Volunteer Awards may be earned by any one person in a given year:
- Gold Volunteer: Any volunteer who accumulates more than 65 Volunteer points in a Series year will be awarded a jacket with embroidered NVRC patch.
- Silver Volunteer: Any volunteer who accumulated more than 50 Volunteer points in a Series year will be awarded a gear bag with embroidered NVRC patch.
- Bronze Volunteer: Any volunteer who accumulated more than 40 Volunteer points in a Series year will be awarded a cap or winter hat with embroidered NVRC patch
- All volunteers not among the top 3 levels above who accumulate 25 or more Volunteer points in a Series year will receive a gift certificate from Rapid Transit Sports
- All volunteers who accumulate 12 or more Volunteer points in a Series year will receive an NVRC logo magnet for their car or refrigerator.
Eligibility and Reporting
Please note that all scoring is based in large part on the honor system (subject to random verification - abusers of the honor system will be disqualified). We will scan through Series Race results for Club members, but will rely on you to report things like volunteer points. Family Members may have to alert us to race results from kids or spouses for whom we don't currently have a membership record. Like anything else we do, the Series is for fun, though friendly competition will probably result. But this should not be seen as a competitive event; the club is just trying to promote racing and volunteering in the State College area.
The email reporting your points should be simple. Mention the race, how you did (if you ran), or what you did (if you helped). Here's an example:
"My name is Jenna Tague. I just ran in the First Night Race and finished third in the 20-24 age group. I also volunteered at the registration table on race day. By the way, I have a Family Membership. Our whole family ran. They all were finishers. My husband's name is Roger Yoritt. Our kids are Dakota and Denali Tague-Yoritt"
Series Race List
Below that is a list of all the races in the NVRC Race Series including unscheduled ones (in approximate date order). The calendar of scheduled series races to the right may not show all the races in the list below, particularly if the race information has not been provided by the Race Director yet. Check back for updates. You can earn points by running or volunteering in any event in the series. You can also earn Bonus Points by participating in Club Sponsored races, designated "(NVRC)". Please note that this list is subject to change.
More information on the races can be found on the main Racing Page (select "Series Races" from the drop-down) or in the calendar to the right (hover over each event for details). (Race directors: if your series race isn't listed in the calendar on the right it's not on our calendar yet for this year. Please fill out the add event form.)
- First Night Resolution Run 5
- NVRC Indoor Mile Series and 3000 Meter Race (NVRC)
- NVRC Egg Hill 10 Miler and Relay (NVRC)
- Beaver Stadium 5K for Special Olympics
- Hyner View
- Beidleheimer Sidewinder 10K
- Black Moshannon 5K and 10K
- Boalsburg Memorial Day Run
- Crack-O-Dawn 5K
- Rothrock Trail Challenge 30K
- Fibonacci 5K Run (NVRC)
- Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon
- NVRC Sue Crowe Memorial Arts Festival Races (NVRC)
- Allegheny Front Trail Runs
- Herbie's Hometown Loop - 4 and 10 Mile Races
- Dam Half
- Tussey mOUnTaiNBACK
- NVRC Give 'Em 5 Run for Veterans (NVRC)
- NVRC Boalsburg Turkey Trot 5K (NVRC)
- NVRC Nittany Valley Half Marathon (NVRC)
Nittany Valley Running Club Race Series - How To Participate
There are two kinds of awards in the Series. The Race Series Cup Awards will go to the people who amass the most points by competing in and volunteering at eligible races. There are place awards for the top 3 finishers as well as achievement awards for all who earn enough points according to the scoring rules found here. The Volunteer Awards will go to those who contribute to the NVRC through volunteer efforts. Volunteer Awards are non-competitive and all volunteers can earn awards according to the scoring rules found here. Awards are given according to the Awards Schedule here.
Runners earn points toward the Race Series Cup by running and doing well in designated Series races and by volunteering in these same races. Volunteers earn points toward Volunteer Awards by volunteering in designated Series races and by volunteering for other designated Club duties. Of course, you can earn both racing and volunteering points in the same race if you are a pre-race or post-race helper. At the end of the Series year, you will be eligible for Awards according to the Awards Schedule here. Here's the scoring system:
Race Series Cup
Runners earn points toward the Race Series Cup by racing and volunteering at races. They total Race Series Cup points are the sum of your Racing and Race Volunteering points.
- 1st Overall Men's/Women's - 12 points
- 2nd Overall Men's/Women's - 11 points
- 3rd Overall Men's/Women's - 10 points
- 1st Other category (e.g. age group, Clydesdale, team award) - 8 points
- 2nd Other category - 7 points
- 3rd Other category - 6 points
- Race finisher - 3 points
Race Volunteering Points:
- Volunteering points toward the Race Series Cup for each race are awarded according to the schedule in the section below on Race Volunteering Points under Volunteer Awards.
- NVRC race - These are Club-directed races (see Series races for races with the NVRC designation) - add 2 points
- A runner who completes all 7 NVRC race is awarded an additional 5 ponus.
- Runs longer than 26.1 miles - add 5 points (this also applies to the total miles covered in Tussey legs)
Race Scoring Notes:
- There are only three overall awards given at the Beidleheimer Sidewinder. There are no sex or age group awards, since the race is age and sex graded.
- Points are awarded for the overall men's and women's and masters men's and women's winners on the 3000 meter races that takes place as part of the Indoor Mile Series. This year there will be one 3000 meter race. The overall winner is the runner with the best time in that race.
- Members of the NVRC Marathoners For Medicine teams raising money for CVIM do not earn racing points but can earn points toward Volunteer Awards. See below.
- Steve runs the 50K Seneca Run of the Allegheny Front Trail Run and finishes in the middle of the pack. He receives 3 points for participating plus a 5 point bonus for the distance, which is greater than 26.1 miles.
- Jane is on the third place team at Tussey, where she ran 2 legs for a total of 8 miles. She gets 9 points for the team result and 2 points for being an NVRC race. She does not get a distance bonus because, though the entire race is longer than 26.1 miles, she only ran 8 miles.
Race Volunteering Points:
All race-specific volunteering points count for both the Race Series Cup and the Volunteer Awards.
- Directors of races 10K and less: 10 points
- Directors of races 10K to 26.1 Miles: 15 points
- Directors of races 26.2 Miles and up: 20 points
- Race committee - 6, 9, 12 points (corresponding to mileage above)
- Other multi-day race volunteer - 6, 9, 12 points (corresponding to mileage above). The race director also has the discretion to award single-day volunteers these points for exemplary service to the race.
- Race/single day volunteer - 3 points
- Writing the race report for the NVRC website if you are not the Race Director- 3 points
Club Role Volunteering Points:
These points pertain only to the Volunteer Awards.
- Club officer - 8 points
- Club committee member - 6 points
- Other Club role (web site developer, Club Timer(s), CDT Columnist, NVRC Series administrators Apparel Coordinator) - 6 points
- Special Club volunteering duties: Club Picnic - 4 pts; Club Election Chair - 4 pts; Wahoo Beginner's Group workout coordinator - 6 pts.
Other Volunteering Points:
These points pertain only to the Volunteer Awards.
- Donation to the Marathoners For Medicine - CVIM team - 2 points
- Writing an article (not a race report) for the NVRC website - 3 points for each
- Marathoners For Medicine Team Director earns 10 points. Marathoners For Medicine Team Members earn 6 points.
- Volunteer at NVRC/Centre Parks and Rec Youth Cross-Country Meets - 3 points per meet up to 6 points NEW
- Volunteer coach with the Nittany Track and Field Youth Group - 6 points NEW
- Donate Blood at NVRC Blood Drive - 5 points NEW
- NVRC race (see Series races for NVRC designation) - add 2 points
- A volunteer who helps out with all 7 NVRC race is awarded an additional 5 ponus.
- Club Timer is a semi-official Club role. Any Club member who has been trained to use the Club timing equipment and times at least one race unsupervised during the year qualifies for the Club Timer points. A Club Timer earns these points just for having the training, for being available for timing non-Series races in the community, and for putting up with all the timing requests. In addition, he/she earns race day volunteer points (3) for each Series race that he/she times (unless he/she is the Race Director, in which case no additional points are earned).
- Race story: Quite often we get race results, particularly for non-Club races, with no story. If you were there and can write a decent summary of the race, we'd love to have it. With pictures, even better. Note: If you were also a race volunteer, you can only earn a max of 6 points (not including Club bonus points) for race volunteering. Race Directors of Club races should write a report, and they don't get any points for doing so. It's part of the job. If they farm it out, the writer gets volunteer points.
- Article: Write an article on training programs, injury treatments, or running related events and submit it to Marty Mazur. Marty will edit it and publish it on the NVRC website.
Nittany Valley Running Club Race Series
- Written by Marty Mazur Marty Mazur
After a couple of years' hiatus, the NVRC Race Series came back in 2017. Though not well publicized, the Series was a success in 2017 and 2018, and we're going to make a bigger deal of it in 2019.
NVRC Series History
Old-timers may recall that in the 1980s the Club had a race series where points were given for race participation and performance. After a multi-year hiatus, the Nittany Valley Running Club brought back the NVRC Race Series Cup in 2008. The main difference between the old and the new Series is that there is now a Volunteer Awards category as well as a competition for the Race Series Cup.
From 2008 through 2012, prizes were awarded only to the top point-getters in both the Race Series Cup and a Volunteer of the Year competitions. Starting in 2013, the competitive aspect of the Volunteer Awards was eliminated. Volunteer Awards were given to all volunteers who accumulate enough points according to the awards schedule found here. In addition, non-competitive individual achievement awards are given to all runners in the Race Series who accumulate enough points according to the awards schedule.
The 2019 Race Series
The 2019 NVRC Race Series begins with the 2019 First Night Resolution Run 5K on December 31, 2018. Race points and volunteer points will be tracked and awards for Race Series Cup winner and Volunteer Awards for 2019 will be given at the regular club meeting in February 2020.
See the series calendar for a listing of all the races in the series.
Please note that all decisions by the club officers are final. This might include, but is not limited to, race selection, scoring, and fair-play.
Here's a guide to the Series: