On making really special friends through running:
"Feel right here"
- Tom Cali describing his recent groin injury
On interval training:
"Anyone can run the last one hard"
- Attributed to Scott Roycroft by Tony de Boef
Another take on interval training:
"You think more clearly after running intervals. (16x400 today)."
- Ken Davis
Miscellaneous Links from the Nittany Valley Running Club
Central Pennsylvania Convention and Visitor's Bureau.
Penn State triathlon club, at University Park.
Vitruvian Running story and products on www.vitruvianrunning.com. They say: While they may appear to be, these shoes are not "retro" or "old school", they are simply designed and engineered for performance without all of the marketing gimmicks.... Currently our shoes are sold through the website at the suggested retail price of $59.99. Club members can now get 25% off an already low price, which includes shipping¤! While going through the checkout process on the site, enter "club special" in the Promo Code window at the bottom of the order confirmation page and the price per pair will be updated to $44.99! (5/7/04)
CanuckRunner.com in Vancouver, British Columbia
The Dash For Cash
[Editor's note: Several local runners were anticipating January and February 2000 meets on Penn State's new indoor track. Someone suggested a one-mile match race. Predictions were made, odds were proposed, and one thing led to another....]
March 12, 2000. Marvin "Big Jule" Hall, who for years posed as a forage management professor at Penn State, was today exposed as the alleged kingpin in a bizarre betting and race-fixing scandal that has rocked the quiet community of State College, Pennsylvania. John Dowd, former head of security for major league baseball who was called in to lead this investigation, said that Hall had created a convincing false identity as a researcher specializing in cornfields. "Mr. Hall had everyone fooled," according to Dowd. "He even managed to get tenure and USDA funding" while masterminding his bookmaking operation.
Why Did We Switch To Yahoo!?
[Note: This article is from 2003, when we switched from a listserve based at Penn State to Yahoo. Yahoo served us well for many years, but finally service on that platform became sub-par. We switched to Google Groups in 2018.]
The Yahoo! NVRC Discussion Group replaces the rather limited Web Discussion Forum the Club had until June of 2003. Regular visitors to the Club web site may have noticed that the old Discussion Forum was not much used. There were two likely reasons for this. First, we already communicate fairly well with each other via the NVRUN listserv and other e-mail vehicles (such as the Thursday Track listserv). Second, the Discussion Forum bulletin board did not forward messages to users' email inbox, necessitating manual checking of the board.
However, there were also problems with our old methods of communication. First, you had to be a member of one of the e-mail listserves to get the messages. Many club members were not on these lists, for various reasons. While on the one hand we'd like to make sure everyone is informed, we realize that in these days of Spam onslaught, most people don't want any more email than what they expect.
Lame Excuses For Not Running
10. I love my job too much to get away.
9. I got caught up in the new employee handbook and wooooooo!!...the time just flew by!
8. I stayed up late watching “Annie", but will run tomorrow. It's only a day away.
7. Waiting around for the toaster repairman.
6. I forgot to get the Sunday paper off the porch. When we found it on Monday, we thought it was Sunday.
5. I had an upset stomach, sore throat, and fever. There must be something going around, because my husband even got hot last night.
4. I'm afraid exercise might harm the alien eggs growing inside me.
3. I found out I can also work up a sweat looking at certain pictures on the Web.
2. Am trying to avoid one more addiction.
1. The voices told me to clean all the guns today.