Knights of Columbus State College Adventure 5K and Kids Races (Historical)
Knights of Columbus State College Adventure 5K
and Kids Races
The Knights of Columbus Race was retired from the Nittany Valley Running Club calendar in early 2015. This page is being maintained for historical purposes.
History: The Knights of Columbus 5K began in the late 1980s as a family oriented 5K run in a residential neighborhood of State College. After a 4 year hiatus from 1996 to1999, the Knights race was revived in 2000 and has been growing strong. And starting in 2005 the Knights Races included a free 1/4-mile and 1/2-mile races for kids 12 and under!
The Knights Race returned to the Knights Hall in 2014, and to the course that had been run for several years up until 2012. The course is a mix of streets, bike paths, trails, and grassy hills. Because of the mild challenges the course sets, it's a great race for a beginners to take on for their first 5K. With special kids age groups, 5 year age groups for adults, and generous prizes, it's a great race for all!
- Race Day: The Knights of Columbus 5K was offically retired from the NVRC Racing Calendar in early 2015.
- Youth Run: The Youth Runs are held immediately after the 5K. They're held at Orchard Park, a short walk from the Knights Hall. There will be a 1/4-mile and a 1/2-mile race.
- Beneficiary: The Knights of Columbus 5K Race benefits the Schlow Centre Region Library Children's Department.
- Age Groups and Awards: 5K: Overall 1st-3rd place men and women runners. 1st-3rd place for men and women runners in the following categories: Youth: 12 and under, 13-16, 17-19 Adults: 20-24, and 5-year age groups through 80 and over. No awards to runners/walkers finishing after 50 minutes.
- Course Information: Here is a map of the course.
- Beginning Runner's Challenge: The Knights of Columbus 5K is the official NVRC Beginner's 5K. While runners of all abilities run the Knights race because its relatively easy course helps ensure a good finishing time, we will have special incentives for beginners to run the race. If you're a beginning runner, start the Couch-To 5K Program outlined on our Coaching Pages.
(The NVRC would like to collect results and memories from the entire history of
the Knights Race. If you have results from past races, or pictures you'd like to share,
Knights of Columbus 5K Results From Some Previous Years: