Here are some details about the group runs including what sponsoring entails and how we plan the calendar.
Sponsoring a run is really pretty easy. Usually it just means you put out some water in designated water drops along the course and pick up the cups afterwards. Here's a list with some more details:
- Drop water at a few places along the course and at start/end. We try to mark the water drop locations on the maps for each run... normally somewhere out of sight (so a good samaritan doesn't "clean it up" for us!). The water drops are normally just a gallon of water (tap is fine) and a stack of paper cups in a plastic bag. Optionally you can add some gatorade, gu, etc., especially if there's a long run option.
- Pick up the water/trash after the run
- Try to make sure no one gets left behind. The group can do run-backs for slower runners, wait at decision points along the course, find equally paced running partners, etc.
There's also other optional things a sponsor might do depending on the details of the run:
- Bring a few copies of course map for new comers... no need for this is the course is simple, such as an out & back.
- Optionally organize post-run activities, e.g. breakfast / brunch, coffee, picnic, cheer on racers, etc.
Sponsoring a run also has its benefits:
- Fame and fortune!
- You pretty much get to pick the run if you'd like. Have a favorite place/route? Volunteer to sponsor and we'll add it to the calendar!
Group run goals:
- Regular meeting times
- Provide run support (water, etc.)
- Variety of distances and paces
- Plan weeks to months in advance
- Variety of starting locations. Mix in new locations w/old favorites.
- Support local races. When there's a local race the official club run will often be running the race itself. If it's a longer run we may plan another group run that allows us to cheer on the racers afterwards.
Group run guidelines:
- Starting Time:
- 7:00 am - June thru September? (Beat the heat)
- 8:00 am - October thru May? (Post sunrise)
- Later for brunch options?
- How to do mapping?
- Start by adding any local races we want to support
- Add one run each weekend near State College
- Add one run each weekend a bit farther out (e.g. Bellefonte)
- Look for new courses in surrounding towns for variety
- Track the runs we have and how many people attend ()
- For each run:
- Plan several courses w/various distances, 3M, 5M, 10M
- For trail runs, have a non-trail option
- For longer races, plan a shorter run for non-racers
- Ask people to sponsor - let them know how easy it is
- Potential post-run activities
- Keep a log of past runs, all club runs, and try to rotate through all of them.
- Popular runs more oftten
- Ask for to suggest their favorite runs - hopefully they will sponsor it.
Possible future runs:
- start location Bernel Park near airport - Bellfonte loop
- Get ideas from biking site?
- Game lands - non-trail option?
- Tofftrees Trail - sunset Park
- Pine Grove Mills
- Four Hills
- Pensylvania Furnace
- Tunnel Loop
- Port Matilda
- Circleville trail
- - Wind Mill run
- Mount Nittany Marathon - Club sponsored water stop? Shorter group run before hand (e.g. watch race start, short-cut run to water stop arriving before first runners)
Arts Fest, Flutopia, Herbies's Home town loop
Group Run History
|Bernel Road Park
|Cherry Run Trail
|Spring Creek Canyon
|Spring Creek Park